Meetings & Membership
Dr. L. Ronald Durham
President, Volusia County Democratic Black Caucus
A Message from Our President
As I look back from 2020 until now, I can’t help but reflect on how our lives have changed. The Covid-19 global pandemic brought loss and pain to so many of us, including the loss of our Caucus 1st Vice President Jessie Harris. And for almost all of us, our lives, family time, work and even how we interact with one another has changed.
I have been extremely proud of the many accomplishments of the Volusia County Democratic Black Caucus throughout the years and despite the challenges that we were confronted with in much of the previous two years, I’m indeed grateful that I remember these as a time of accomplishment as well!
We removed obstacles, embraced new approaches to serving and found new ways to connect.
As your president, this past year should give us all reasons to be optimistic about the organization’s work in the year ahead.
We are still being true to our mission of seeing Black Candidates elected to public office, even during a pandemic!
Our goal is to grow, connect and engage our members; increase our advocacy and knowledge, and thereby benefit the communities we serve, for they need us now, as much as ever.
I want to thank all of you in advance for your involvement and support of VCDBC and I look forward to working together for an even better future.
Meeting the Challenge of Tomorrow Through a Stronger Democratic Voice
Become an Active Voting Member
The goal of the Democratic Black Caucus of Florida is to establish active chapters from Pensacola to Key West and have at least one Caucus Chapter in each county in the State of Florida to acquire Equal Representation from the Court House to the White House.
In Addition, We Will:
• Strengthen our ties to the FDP, local DEC’s, local Democratic leaders, and local elected officials promoting the principles of the Democratic Party on all levels.
• Generate attention and increase membership through news media; Radio talk shows, newspapers, magazines, and television commercials encouraging disenfranchised voters to vote.
• Coalesce with the FYD (Florida Young Democrats) to promote the Committee for Fair Elections.
• Raise funds for the Caucus’ candidates by volunteering to call donors.
• Invite trained FDP Chairpersons to facilitate winning strategies.
• Build communication with the southeastern states.
All elected Black Democrats in the State of Florida are automatically General Members. However, to become an Active Voting Member and enjoy the privileges of full participation in programming and decision-making, an annual assessment of $55 | $35 for Senior Citizens & Students is required to be paid each January which includes state and local membership. The Democratic Black Caucus of Florida is, by no means, exclusionary. All registered Democrats who subscribe to the caucus objectives are invited to join.